Sézary Journey

Transplant

Stem-cell transplant is the part of this journey that carries both the greatest possibility and some of the greatest risks.

My team at MD Anderson has discussed an allogeneic stem-cell transplant—using donor stem cells—as the treatment with curative potential for this disease. That does not make it a simple decision. Transplant brings significant risks of its own, including infection, graft-versus-host disease and treatment-related mortality.

What has to happen first

The immediate goal is to get the lymphoma into the best possible remission before transplant. A donor must be identified. There are also timing issues around current treatment, including a required washout period after mogamulizumab. My transplant team has discussed total-skin electron-beam radiation as part of the preparation if I proceed.

There are practical hurdles as well as medical ones: donor searching, insurance coverage, scheduling, caregiving and the long recovery period that follows transplant.

Moving forward with transplant evaluation

The transplant process is now moving from discussion into formal evaluation. My stem-cell transplant team is working closely in tandem with my dermatology and lymphoma oncology teams while MOGA is being used to bring the disease under control.

My doctors have explained that an allogeneic stem-cell transplant is the only treatment currently being considered that offers a realistic possibility of curing Sézary syndrome. The other treatments can control the disease and may produce remission, but they are not considered curative. To proceed, I first need to reach an adequate remission, have an appropriate donor identified, and obtain insurance approval.

As I understand it, the following heart, lung, social-work and dental evaluations are being completed as part of my insurance carrier’s requirements for evaluating and approving coverage for the transplant:

  • A complete pulmonary function test to document lung function and reserve
  • An echocardiogram to evaluate heart function
  • A social-work evaluation to review caregiving, support, transportation, housing and other practical needs
  • Dental clearance confirming that my dental health is good and that no treatment is currently required

These evaluations are not being ordered because a new problem has been found. The transplant team is coordinating them while it pursues insurance authorization.

The donor search is also beginning through the international donor registry. I do not have a sibling donor, so the goal is to identify the best available unrelated match while the rest of the evaluation moves forward.

Insurance and cost

Insurance is a critical part of whether transplant is realistically available to me. My transplant team has told me that Medicare would not cover an allogeneic stem-cell transplant for my type of lymphoma, so maintaining private insurance is essential. During my financial consultation at MD Anderson, I was given an estimated cost of approximately $456,000 to $1 million for an unrelated-donor allogeneic transplant. That makes insurance approval much more than an administrative step.

The potential benefit and the risks

The reason to consider transplant despite its risks is the possibility of cure. My transplant team has described the outcomes to me approximately this way: about 50% of patients may achieve a long-term cure, about 30% may eventually have the disease return, and about 20% may die from transplant-related complications within roughly two years. These are approximate figures used to help me understand the decision, not predictions of what will happen in my individual case.

They have also told me that approximately 60% of patients develop some degree of graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), in which the donor immune system attacks the recipient’s tissues. GVHD can range from mild to serious and is one of the major risks of an allogeneic transplant.

Even with the evaluation and donor search moving forward, transplant is still conditional. I need to respond well enough to treatment, an appropriate donor must be available, and I still have to meet the final medical and insurance requirements. But this is now an active process rather than simply a possibility being discussed for the future.

What today’s discussion changed

Transplant is still very much on the table, but today my dermatologist made clear that it is not necessarily automatic. The next decision will depend heavily on how quickly and how completely the lymphoma responds to MOGA.

If the blood, skin, lymph nodes and the deposits beneath the skin all respond very quickly—if, in her words, everything essentially “melts away” after only a few doses—she would pause and reconsider whether I need to go directly to transplant at the first opportunity.

If the response is uneven or stubborn, especially if the blood clears while the lymph nodes or subcutaneous disease remain, that would make the disease look more aggressive. In that situation, additional therapy may be needed to reach a complete remission, and proceeding to transplant in that remission would become the stronger path.

Timing matters too. My team has said I cannot proceed to transplant for at least two months after the final dose of MOGA because of the risk of graft-versus-host disease, and a somewhat longer washout may be safer. That means the transplant timeline will be driven not just by finding a donor and completing the evaluation, but by when MOGA is stopped and how durable the response appears to be.

The decision

For me, the decision is not simply about choosing the least risky path. Quality of life matters. So does the possibility of a durable remission or cure. I would rather understand the risks clearly and make an intentional decision than drift into one by avoiding the difficult questions.

This section will follow the process from donor search and evaluation through the final decision and, if I proceed, preparation, hospitalization and recovery.

Continue exploring

Treatment  •  Treatment Timeline  •  Journal  •  Understanding Sézary Syndrome